Sunday, May 29, 2011

Setting the Record Straight

With the NBA Finals quickly descending upon us, I feel that it is necessary for me to set the record straight regarding LeBron James. I have had individuals over the past few weeks make comments, in person and on Facebook, asking why does everyone have to be a "hater" with respect to LeBron. My nephew, a self-proclaimed Miami Heat fan, stated to me that all LeBron wants to do is win an NBA championship,which he would never do by staying with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and that there are five other NBA teams with a higher payroll than the Heat. I hate to break it to him, but I could care less about which teams have higher payrolls than the Heat, and if LeBron didn't want to win an NBA Championship there would be some serious concerns on my behalf as to his motivation for being in the NBA.  Furthermore, I do concede that LeBron is a talented basketball player. I would not state that he is the greatest, but he does have the athleticism and skills to play the game. However, with all of that being said I despise this man for what I believe to be very valid reasons.

First, LeBron does not know the meaning of modesty. Webster's dictionary defines "modesty" as "freedom from conceit or vanity".  I have no respect for an athlete who, last summer, needed to have an hour long special hosted by ESPN to announce "The Decision" as to where he would be playing for the 2010-2011 NBA season.  LeBron did not even wait until the end of the program to announce his decision; rather, he proclaimed to those who had turned in to watch him as if he were the President of the United States that he was going to the Miami Heat within the first ten minutes. The remaining 50 minutes were devoted to LeBron grandstanding about himself. Apparently LeBron donated money to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America since he has a "longstanding commitment to giving back to the community." If you believe that line I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Furthermore, LeBron has crowned himself  "The King" of basketball. No one with an iota of modesty would be that pathetic. 

Second, LeBron does not know the meaning of professionalism. When LeBron lost in the Eastern Conference Playoffs in 2008 and 2009, to Boston and Orlando respectively, LeBron stormed off the court like a five year old throwing the biggest temper tantrum known to the history of man. According to LeBron, he is a "competitor" so when you lose a playoff series why would you congratulate the team who just began your golf season a few weeks earlier than you anticipated. I do not disagree with LeBron that when you are a competitor it is difficult to lose and have your dream of achieving the apex in your sport end. However, as a professional, you suck up your pride and congratulate the other team. This is something that is taught to athletes at a tender age...or at least I thought so. Imagine my surprise when last year LeBron actually stayed out on the court to congratulate the Celtics. I would like to believe that LeBron had grown up, but my inclination is that LeBron did it simply because he was tired of the bad press he received from the previous two years about his lack of sportsmanship.   

Lastly, LeBron does not know the meaning of honesty. When LeBron decided to leave Cleveland to go play in South Beach, he stated that he was going because he wanted to win an NBA Championship. Needless to say, Cleveland fans were upset, hurt and never wanted to see him again. LeBron could not help but throw digs at Cleveland throughout the regular season. However, after the Heat beat the Celtics in the Eastern Conference semi-finals this year, LeBron "apologized" to Cleveland by telling him that the real reason he left was that he had to beat the Celtics. Of course, he could not stay with Cleveland to accomplish this feat, even though he had come close with them. So what is the truth? Or does LeBron just say whatever he wants because no one will question him? 

The bottom line is that LeBron is a narcissist who lacks the ability to understand and perform common social courtesies. What saddens me is that so many young children look up to him. I would not want my child to learn his behaviors and think that they are acceptable.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of LeBron, and I am sure that some individuals would love to throw tomatoes at me for what I just wrote. I have a high standard of what a professional athlete should adhere to and LeBron falls extremely short of that line. Maybe someday he'll learn the error of his ways, but I am not holding my breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment